Pages

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Honey Pecan Bars

Honey Pecan Bars - The Bourbon Bee
Honey Pecan Bars
Being that I'm in the south, pecans are the nut of choice. There is no argument as to the fact that pecans are a preference, it's the pronunciation that is debated heatedly.
In the south you don't talk about politics, religion, or how pecans are pronounced.

 So how do you say it? "Pee-can", Pee-con", "Puh-con"? I'm a "Puh-con" girl myself.

These little jewels are a great alternative to a Pecan Pie. I like that you can cut them into little bit size pieces, or big ol' squares. I, also, like the fact that you use honey instead of corn syrup. I don't know why, but I have an aversion to corn syrup. I'm not a health food nut, although I do try to eat healthy, it's just that corn syrup annoys me. Period.

Honey Pecan Bars

Adapted from eats well with others

Crust:

2 cups flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 cup butter

Filling:

2 cups pecans
1/2 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup of honey
1 tbsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350. Sift flour and powdered sugar; cut butter into flour powdered sugar mix with a pastry cutter until it resembles a coarse meal. It will seem kind of dry, that's normal. Sprinkle into a 9x13x2-inch pan and place parchment paper over the top. Press crust into pan firmly with hands. Place shortbread in the center of the oven and bake until light golden brown, about 20 min. While shortbread is baking, prepare filling.

Coarsely chop pecans. In a heavy saucepan, melt butter and stir in brown sugar, honey, and vanilla. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 minute.

Stir in pecans. Pour pecan mixture over hot shortbread and spread evenly. Bake in the center of the oven until it bubbles, about 20 minutes.

Cool completely in pan and cut while still in pan.

Yields about 12 bars, depending on how big you cut them. Will keep, covered, for about 5 days at room temperature.

post signature