Pages

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Healthy Jambalaya

Healthy Jambalaya - The Bourbon Bee

Did you make a New Years resolution to loose weight, or get healthy? When I finally decided to eat healthy, I knew that the only way I was going to be successful was I had to try to take recipes I already use and make them healthier. Now, that's not to say that I don't partake in some goodies, just in moderation. What I loath is diet food, pre-packaged, tasteless, textureless, colorless, masses of sodium. An abomination! Not only do they taste awful, but I never feel full or satisfied after I eat them. Honestly, the trick to loosing weight and getting healthy is fresh, homemade, healthy food and treats in moderation. Oh...and exercise!

I'm not really a New Years resolution maker, I tend to break them within minutes, it seems. I think it has something to do with my rebellious streak. Rules are made to be broken, right?
Lots of people make New Years resolutions though, and they can be a healthy thing! This Jambalaya is hearty, warm and full of flavor. You won't miss the fatty pork kielbasa, I promise!

I did the math for you: If you weigh out 11 ounces (which is a very hearty portion), it's only 350 calories per serving!

Healthy Jambalaya

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon butter
14 oz turkey polska kielbasa
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup bell pepper, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 cup long grain white rice
2 medium potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2 in. cubes
2 1/4 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 - 4oz jar sliced pimientos
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 pound large uncooked shrimp, peeled, deveined
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Directions: 


Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add kielbasa saute until browned, about 5 minutes. Remove kielbasa, set aside. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic; saute until transparent, about 4-5 minutes. Stir in rice, toast for about 1 minute. Mix in kielbasa, potatoes, chicken broth, white wine, pimientos. Season with; turmeric, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, turn heat to medium low, cover, and simmer until rice and potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in shrimp and cilantro. Cover and cook until shrimp are just cooked, about 4 minutes. 

Healthy Jambalaya - The Bourbon Bee

post signature